Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Straw-headed Bulbul



I have crossed path with the Straw-headed Bulbuls many times. A funny plain looking dove size bird. I wasn't impressed. It didn't help that they are loud, need a license to keep and eat fruits (messy). I have stayed away from these birds as much as possible.

Few days ago, we crossed path again. I think I should give them a chance. They are quite vulnerable for extinction, I would presume, with the ease of which these birds are being caught. Actually the local demand for these birds isn't that worrying, what with the loud noise, license requirements and such. Plus the fact that this bird is not actively competed in competitions. It would have put off many people and drawn much attention when kept in places with people living in close proximity. Demand from oversea is the factor that is driving the price upwards.

Cutting the story short, I have secured a pair for a friend and a male for myself. And am continuing to buy whatever this trapper can spare and resell to friends. At least this way, they stay in Malaysia. Eventually I will try to breed this bird. In fact I would make it my 2009 resolution.

Lets see how it goes......

No comments: